The Riverby Theatre Guild’s production of “The Dixie Swim Club” will take the Markay stage on Feb. 26 at 2 p.m.
The comedy with a touch of southern charm, directed by Michelle Miller, takes the audience on a journey of life and friendship. Each August, college friends Lexie (Laura Miller), Jeri Neal (Lucia Jones), Dinah (Mariah Hampton), Sheree (Cassie Walker) and Vernadette (Elaine Wheeler) meet for one weekend in August, in a small beachside cottage, to share a weekend of fun and laughter, free of distractions. The audience is invited to join them as they catch up, laugh and help each other through life’s trials and tribulations. From ex-husbands and plastic surgery to life’s many up and downs, these five friends are there to talk each other through it all. The “Dixie Swim Club is a funny testament to the enduring power of friendship.
About the Actors:
• Laura Miller (Lexie) – Is a newcomer to the area. Her past favorite performances include Gypsy (Electra), Plaza Suite (Karen), and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Maggie). When not on stage, you may find her walking dogs at the K-9 shelter or training for triathlons.
• Cassie Walker (Sheree) has enjoyed being in and around theatre her entire life. She has been both in front and behind the curtain. From Bye Bye Birdie in High School, Plaza Suite in college, church venues and most recently the RTG fall production of Witches, Britches, Rings and Things.
• Maria Hampton (Dinah) is thrilled to take the stage with this wonderful cast of ladies and terrific director, Michelle Miller. Being a part of the cast of Les Miserables was her first experience in musical theatre. Some of her favorite roles have been: Daddy’s Girl (Darlynn), Alibi’s (Hope), How the Other Half Dies (Officer Newbie). Maria is a mixed media artist and quite a bookworm.
• Elaine Wheeler (Vernadette) is very excited to be “one of the girls” in the Riverby Theatre Guild’s production of The Dixie Swim Club. Her theatre credits include musicals: Emma! – A Pop Musical, Annie, Oliver and Fiddler on the Roof; children’s productions: The Little Mermaid and Alice in Wonderland; and comedies such as How the Other Half Dies and the Ladies of Harmony. As well as performing, Elaine also enjoys singing and teaching line dance.
• Lucia Colley Jones (Jeri Neal) obtained her BA in Performing Arts from The University of Rio Grande. She is the Program Coordinator at The French Art Colony and Riverby Theatre Guild. She truly enjoys working with children in the arts. Some past favorite performances include: That Was Bob, Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd, Tommy, and more. As a classically trained soprano, her role as Monica, in The Medium, holds a special place in her heart. She is an actor, singer, teacher, wife and mother.
• Michelle Miller, Dixie Swim Club’s Director, graduated from the University of Rio Grande with a degree in technical theatre. Since its inception, she has assisted the Riverby Theatre Guild as a director, techie and, on very rare occasion, a cast member. Over the years, Michelle has directed a variety of shows, including Misery, Wait Until Dark, A Christmas Story, Rednecks Undo Christmas, The Woman in Black, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Alibis, Oliver and 12 Angry Jurors. She lives in Gallipolis with her husband Tim and children, Trent and Sydney.
To purchase tickets, call the Markay’s Box Office at 740-577-3841 or visit www.markayjackson.org . Tickets can also be purchased at the Markay box office, Wednesday to Friday from noon to 5 p.m.
The Markay Cultural Arts Center, under the care of the Southern Hills Arts Council, is located at 269 E. Main St., Jackson, Ohio.
Comments are closed.