Once again it’s time to grab your camera and start showing us, in pictures, why Jackson County is a great place to live, work and play.
The 13th Annual Jackson County Is Picture Perfect Amateur Photography Contest, a project of The Jackson County Times-Journal, is now accepting entries. It’s free to enter the amateur photography contest. (Click the link for the entry form PicturePerfectEntry2017)
This year The Times-Journal’s amateur photography contest is being held in partnership with The Markay, The Southern Hills Arts Council, Smith Flower Shop, Andrea’s Prom and Bridal, Jackson Body and Paint, Jackson Metropolitan Housing Authority, KFC of Oak Hill, Loan Central, Sonic, Toro Loco and EDKO.
The contest is open to youth and adults with separate categories. The youth division is for ages 10-17, and the adult division is for ages 18 and older.
Cash prizes will be awarded to first, second and third places in both youth and adult divisions. The following cash amounts will be awarded: first place: $75 (youth and adult), second place: $50 (youth and adult), third place: $25 (youth and adult).
There will also be cash prizes for Best Representation of Life in Jackson County and Peoples’ Choice in both youth and adult divisions. The following cash amounts will be awarded: Best Representation of Life in Jackson County: $50 (youth and adult) and Peoples’ Choice: $25 (youth and adult).
Below are the Jackson County Is Picture Perfect Amateur Photography Contest Rules:
1. The photographer must be an amateur, who has not received money for photography services in the past year.
2. Photo must have been taken after April 15, 2016.
3. Photo entries may be on glossy or matte photo paper.
￼4. The photographer may enter up to two photos.
5. Photo must have been taken in Jackson County. (Photos at Lake Alma in Vinton County will not be accepted.)
6. Each entry must be an 8” x 10” in color or black and white photo and affixed to picture matting, for the total entry no larger than 11” x 14”. NO picture frames.
7. Photos must be submitted with an entry form that can be picked up at The Jackson County Times-Journal office, the Markay, printed off www.timesjournal.com or clipped out of The Jackson County Times-Journal.
8. Entries must be submitted ONLY to The Jackson County Times-Journal at 73 E. Huron Street, Suite B, Jackson by 5 p.m. on January 20, 2017. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
9. All entries become the property of the Jackson County Times-Journal during the course of the contest and will be released to participants on March 6, 2017.
10. Photos featuring an identifiable person must be accompanied by a signed release from that person or guardian.
11. First, Second and Third Place Winners will be chosen by a judge outside of the county. Votes at the Markay will decide the winners of Peoplesʼ Choice and Best Representation of Life in Jackson County. Winners will be announced on Feb. 16, 2017. Peoplesʼ Choice and Best Representation of Life in Jackson County voting ends on Feb. 13, 2017.
12. Jackson County Times-Journal employees and independent contractors are not eligible to participate.
13. Two age categories: Adult: 18 and older and Youth: 10 to 17. Photos must have been taken by the photographer entering the contest.
14. Photos can be artistically enhanced. Photos can be of any subject matter, however, no nude photos nor untasteful subjects will be permitted in the contest.
15. Failure to follow these rules will result in a disqualified entry.
Once again, the deadline to enter is Wednesday, January 25PicturePerfectEntry2017PicturePerfectEntry2017, 2017, at 5 p.m. at the office of The Jackson County Times-Journal, located at 73 E. Huron Street, Suite B, in Jackson. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Jackson County is Picture Perfect Exhibit can be viewed from Feb. 3, 2017, to Feb. 26, 2017 at the Markay Cultural Arts Center, located at 269 E. Main Street in Jackson. There will be an opening reception on Feb 3, 2017, at 6:30 p.m. at the Markay.
Photos must be submitted with an entry form that can be picked up at The Jackson County Times-Journal office, the Markay, printed off www.timesjournal.com, clipped out of The Jackson County Times-Journal or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.